Wednesday 11 February 2009

Week 1 - 27th Jan - 11th Feb

Developing the skills required for creating an interactive media product that contains PHP5 (M2) (D2)

This week, I introduced myself to PHP and wish I had picked flash as my self managed learning task instead. Little did I realise that before I could start creating PHP, I would need to create a local testing server and download PHP. Thankfully after a few failed attempts, I created the testing environment by using XAMPP. I realised that in order to use PHP to its full potential I would need a MySQL database, at this point I really did get confused.

The problem I faced was how could I possibly create a Learning Plan and develop a technical specification knowing nothing about PHP or MySQL.

After watching a few videos on PHP and taking notes, I began playing with Variables, Arrays and If Else statements, although I found this experience very useful, I couldn’t quite understand how I could use what I had learnt in the real world situation until stumbling upon the HTML form with PHP

Thankfully by choosing to develop a website for my Parents walking club gave me the perfect opportunity to integrate a PHP feedback form. Following an initial meeting with my parents, I drafted a learning plan and created technical specification.


Although I am happy, I have decided that I will include a PHP feedback form that links mailing a reply via email. I might regret I did not do something more challenging later.




27th Jan
  • Serverside vs Client side programming
  • Installing PHP
  • XAMPP
  • Writing My first PHP
  • Mixing PHP with html
  • PHP Variables
  • Variable Interpolation expansion
  • Using numbers as Value
  • Watching Killerphp video and made notes

28th Jan
  • Variable
  • Defined SMLP
  • two variables on one line
  • If Else Statement

29th Jan
  • Added Merit and Distinctions to SMLP

31st Jan
  • PHP Arrays
  • Indexed Arrays
  • Associative Arrays
  • Assigning numeric value

1st Feb
  • Processing a HTML Form with PHP
    (using attributes action = form response and method = post)
  • Logo development
  • Watching Killer PHP Videos

4th Feb
  • Wrote brief for Website
  • Started Logo design

7th Feb
  • Setup domain name and hosting
  • Developed logo design

8th February
  • Practising PHP videos
  • writing comments or statements
  • Saving form Input in Variables
  • Understanding the four basic variables data types

9th Feb
Creating and practising how to create a simple form in html in php

Step 1: HTML Code view
Step 1: HTML Browser view
Step 2: PHP code view
Step 3: HTML code view
Step 3: HTML Browser view
10th
Trying to create a MySQL database

11th February
  • Learning what php is and why I would use it
  • Problems setting up MySQL
  • Initial form proposal, PHP reply, email feedback
  • Development of programme using an (if else function and a MySQL database)
  • List of things needed for PHP my MySQL Admin
  • - Text editors - Webserver - PHP - Database

No comments:

Post a Comment